Thursday, July 30, 2009

Letter to New Mexico Senator Udall re: Health care

The following is a letter I sent to New Mexico Senator Udall and others.

Senator Tom Udall

I am 64, collect Social Security and neither my wife nor I have health care insurance. I am probably the last person you would expect to be against the proposed Democrat health care proposals but I am.

I am a Viet Nam era vet and I am not rich by any means so I am not one to be accused of hypocrisy.

I believe in people. I am cynical about government and politicians.

If you truly want to pass legislation that will make positive changes in health care insurance and that results in more affordable policies for all Americans and you care about individualism and the "general welfare" of Americans, you will pro-actively support and allow free market solutions to bring about change. Change that results in the ability of policy holders to maintain their policies when they move across state lines and or change jobs. Change that results in legitimate controls over nuisance malpractice lawsuits and unwarranted judgments. Changes in state and federal insurance regulations that are interfering with competition between insurance companies. And last but definitely not least, a "safety net" that provides for first class health care for the truly needy.

The proposed "public insurance option" if instituted will lead to the destruction of private sector companies unless they "play ball" with the federal government. Health care costs will go up or if not that then rationing will occur or a combination of both cost and rationing. Either is undesirable.

And most importantly, how much government control (loss of individual freedom) are you willing to accept?

No comments:

Post a Comment